In our search for videogames that engage with death in interesting ways, we encountered all kinds of thought-provoking explorations of dying, bereavement, and memorialisation. This is a list of the top 20 videogames that we felt contributed the most to contemporary debates about death.
Are there any videogames that you think we have missed? Let us know over on our Twitter account @what_death.
1. Spiritfarer, Thunder Lotus Games
Read Emma Reay’s Reflections on Spiritfarer here.
2. What Remains of Edith Finch, Giant Sparrow
Read Emma Reay’s Reflections on What Remains of Edith Finch here.
3. The Graveyard, Tale of Tales
4. Passage, Jason Roher
5. Gris, Nomada Studios
Read Emma Reay’s Reflections on Gris here.
6. A Mortician’s Tale, Laundry Bear Games
7. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Starbreeze Studios
Read Emma Reay’s Reflections on Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons here.
8. To the Moon, Freebird Games
9. That Dragon, Cancer, Numinous Games
10. Unravel, ColdWood Interactive
11. Apart of Me, Bounce Works
12. Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Ember Lab
13. Mandagon, Blind Sky Studios
14. I am Dead, Hollow Ponds
15. Death and Taxes, Placeholder Gameworks
16. Before Your Eyes, GoodbyeWorld Games
17. Lost Words: Beyond the Page, Sketchbook Games
18. Röki, Polygon Treehouse
19. Ico, Team Ico
20. Queers in Love at the End of the World, Anna Anthropy
Posted: 17th December 2021