A performance and conversational workshop for professionals and volunteers who support people around end-of-life care, dying, and bereavement.
The A Good Death? project aims to improve conversations about death and dying by introducing you to unfamiliar and sometimes challenging literary writing from the past and in the present.
In this workshop, we are very proud to welcome Menagerie Theatre to join our discussion. A collaboration between Menagerie and A Good Death? has produced three original new audio plays concerned with experiences of death and dying. The workshop is based on one of these pieces, ‘Seven Arguments with Grief’ by Patrick Morris.
Thank you for joining us!
In the workshop we will:
- Hear a performance of the short dramatic monologue Seven Arguments with Death, performed by Caroline Rippin. You may like to have the script in front of you: Seven Arguments with Grief
- Talk through sections of the play reflectively together and compare them to our own experiences, whether from our personal or professional lives.
- Ask whether and how the play can provide us with insight to support those we work with in their experiences of end-of-life care, dying and bereavement.
- Through a Q and A with writer Patrick Morris, imagine how our experiences and ideas could help to shape new literary work.
Our aims are:
- For us to have fun together and learn from each other by talking about literature
- For you to leave with some new ideas, and to be inspired to share these with others included those who you work with
- For you to take a moment away from your normal day and working lives to think about what matters to you
Seven Arguments with Grief
You can listen to a recording of the play below. For more information on the collaboration, including interviews with Caroline and Patrick, see Collaborations.
We’d love to hear your thoughts and learn from your insights and experiences.
Please leave feedback here.
Did the workshop spark an idea in you?
What did you make of the performance?
Do you think you might want to share one of the plays with a colleague, friend or family member?
Or maybe you have some reading suggestions for us that you’ve found helpful in the past.
Let us know!
You can email us firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out on twitter @what_death